Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Its been a good harvest

The year didn't get off to such a great start  but I ended up with some good produce. Its time to put the garden away for its winter nap. Margaret has been mulching leaves for me so I can restore some organic matter back into the soil. She is good on that tractor,makes a row of leaves that are easy for me to handle.
The old plants are being removed and some compost added. I remove the plants just in case there may have been some disease, don't want to carry it in the garden next year.
The garden has been tilled and more leaves added.Will go over this two or three times to break up the leaves so they decompose better. L eaves are very good as they contain micronutrients drawn from the depths of the earth.
When I first started this soil was completely sand. It sure has improved.


In the next posting we will discuss the winter crop i'm going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment